Hankerson

Hankerson

Saturday, August 30, 2014

How I would have constructed the roster differently

The Redskins' initial 53-man roster has been decided. The offense is very close to what I predicted and what I would have done outside of HB, but defense has a few changes. For some reason, we kept six inside linebackers with another one on IR/designated to return (which was a very poor usage of that), as well as six defensive ends, with a seventh on PUP.

Cut: QB Colt McCoy, HB Silas Redd, DE Frank Kearse, ILB Adam Hayward, S Trenton Robinson

Keep: HB Lache Seastrunk, HB Chris Thompson, OLB Rob Jackson (or Everette Brown, for his special teams play), CB Richard Crawford, S Phillip Thomas

Waive/injured ILB Darryl Sharpton instead of using the IR/Designated to return allocation on him.

Then, after two weeks, when S Brandon Merriweather's suspension is up, I would cut CB EJ Biggers, who has value for his ability to provide depth at both CB and S, for him.

After six weeks, I would cut OT Tom Compton for DE Stephen Bowen (provided Moses is completely healthy and comfortable by then), and evaluate WR Leonard Hankerson vs. WRs Santana Moss and Aldrick Robinson.

Week eight would be a non-issue because I wouldn't have Darryl Sharpton coming back from the short term IR, but once he is healthy, if he's still on the street, I would re-sign him in place of either ILB Akeem Jordan or OLB Rob Jackson if he isn't getting on the field much on defense.

In that case, the hardest exclusions for me would be HB Silas Redd and CB Chase Minnifield, whom I like a lot but didn't have impressive enough a preaseason for me to feel comfortable dropping mediocre and overpaid veteran Tracy Porter for him.

I would also find a new punter to take Tress Way's place. Neither he nor Robet Malone were really a good option. 

Overall, the final roster is more similar to what I'd choose than most years, but there are a couple decisions that really hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment